Thursday, July 24, 2014

#ThrowbackThursday Geek Love edition.

I met my husband online in an AOL chatroom in 1999. Say what you will about online dating, but I'm reasonably sure we wouldn't have met otherwise. I lived in South Bay, he lived in Orange County... our paths likely never would have crossed had it not been for a little space on the Internet called "Hopelessly Romantic."

I had been a constant participant in the room for months. It helped me flex some creative muscle by coming up with saucy or sentimental phrases to define romance. "Romance is..." fill in the blank accordingly. It was a flirty kind of a place where Internet couples found each other, had hot, flash-in-the-pan romances, then resumed their "real" lives away from the computer.

Some took it further, of course. Some left their families (and spouses) to move across the country to live with someone they hadn't yet met, often to disastrous consequences.

Steven and I weren't looking for anything so serious. We just wanted to hang out and have fun with a like-minded person. From the first interaction in the chatroom to the private messages and phone call that followed, we chatted that first night for probably three hours straight. We met in person by the end of the week, at a noisy, busy Cantina where he bought me a rose and kissed me in front of a crowded restaurant.

I knew then that Steven was one of a kind.



He's taught me a lot in fifteen years. I can't really think of anyone more suited to be my partner in love and in life. Where I'm crazy, emotional, passionate and intense, he's even-tempered, logical, good-humored and easy-going. I can drive anyone nuts, but he's always been able (and willing) to ride the storm, make me laugh and not take things so seriously. He accepts me as I am, even when I'm hard as hell to love.



I really never thought I'd find anyone like him. Ever. Last night we joked that he's my "trophy husband," and he said, "As long as I'm first place."

It hasn't ever been a contest.

I wouldn't be where I am today without his love and support and his constant encouragement. And I certainly wouldn't have the body of work that I have without him.

He's been my loudest cheerleader for fifteen years. He pushes me to write, and was largely responsible for my tackling my own fears by attempting screenplays way back in 2001. He is my sounding board and we brainstorm all the time. Some of my most memorable characters and scenes were born of his inspiration.

Most notably, he was the biggest reason there were three books in the Groupie saga instead of just the one. Not only did he inspire Graham, he let me know point-blank that I couldn't end the first book the way I had planned to because it didn't make any sense. He raises the bar for my entire life and never lets me get away with anything.

Most importantly, he's one of the few people in my life ballsy enough to tell me when I'm being a complete cuckoo. And I'll believe him because he's smart as hell with a genius IQ and more trivial knowledge than I can shake a stick at. When I'm writing, he cracks the whip to keep me focused and to raise the bar on my own stories. As a voracious reader himself (probably THE most voracious reader I know personally,) I trust his insight and his judgment.

As a Geek Extraordinaire, he opened me up to a host of stories I probably wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise. Some of the biggest obsessions I have (The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, The Big Bang Theory,) are directly due to his initial interest.

As such, when we reproduced we did so with a book. And not just any book, a book about geeks.

Those who have read Enticed know about Comic Squad. But what you don't know is that is the offspring I proudly share with my incredible hubby. He helped me write it by providing all the "Geek Speak," and he is solely responsible for the creation of one of my favorite characters of ALL time. If you haven't met Twitch yet, I'll save the surprise. It's much better to see him come to life than hear him described.

Comic Squad is the story about the true, pure love of geek culture, as seen through the eyes of an eleven-year-old girl. It's a story about friendship, family and honor... and learning what it means to be your own hero. This is what it represents to me, because those are the things that Steven has enhanced in my own life. If we had a daughter, I'd like to think it would be someone like Alice, who was a lot braver at 11 than I am at 44.

Honestly, it's one of my favorites of the books I've written.

So in honor of Comic Con, I'm posting this book as my very first $0.99 Sale. The price will go up as of Sunday/Monday, so get your copy soon.

Join Rachel, Jonathan, Steven and I for a fun little sojourn into the world of comic books, villains and superheroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment