Wednesday, December 23, 2015

On the Ninth* Day of Christmas, a makeup blog featuring some fierce friends.

*This blog was unfortunately delayed due to a personal crisis, so it's going to be pretty bare bones due to time constraints. But the freebie listed is a freebie all the time, everywhere, so don't miss out getting to know all the FIERCE gang!

FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONG


Whenever things get tough, I think about this song. And it doesn't have to be Christmas for me to do it.



JEFF N' GINGER'S HOLIDAY WHOOVIE


Have you ever noticed that the best holiday movies are the ones where everything goes wrong? They sell these as comedies because we can laugh while grimacing, knowing we've all had our hard times making the magic of Christmas happen - but in the end, it doesn't matter. The best holidays are the ones where you remember what's important, and I think no one nails that message better than my idol, the incomparable John Hughes.



And just when you thought he couldn't do it again, he enlisted the help of the equally amazing Tim Curry for the sequel.



These are good reminders that it could ALWAYS be worse.

So count your kids and have a merry one, whatever you celebrate, however you celebrate it.

TODAY'S #BAKEITFORWARD CHRISTMAS RECIPE


Needless to say, I didn't anything prepared for the challenge yesterday, so I'll just a recipe that I *wanted* to make this season but didn't get a chance to.

Today's treat: CINNAMON SUGAR PECANS

At the Mall of Abilene, in my hometown, they have a stand that sells the most aromatic cinnamon sugar pecans that I've ever had the pleasure to smell. I couldn't walk past that place without the urge to dive right into a bag. I love pecans (which, by the way, for this Texan it is pronounced peCAHNS, not PEE cans,) especially around the holidays. Whether it's a pecan pie, which... I can't even..., or it's a bowl of mixed nuts that always sat on our coffee table in front of the sofa each and every year of my childhood, nuts and Christmas are synonymous.

And yes, I realize how that sounds - and it works for me.

If you ever want to make me happy, nuts are a good way to go. I like them in my chocolate so much that I rarely eat chocolate without them. In fact, if you're still looking for gift ideas...







I prefer it in my ice cream...





And ... as a southern girl... I can't even...



And if it wasn't for the cost, I'd have nuts in my house every single day of the year.

In addition to all the other nuts that live there.



NINTH DAY FREEBIE


Today's freebie, FIERCE, introduces you to some of my most memorable characters yet. The feedback that I get on this book is pretty phenomenal, as people see themselves in the characters I've written. It is a very personal book, with my heaviest heroine yet, who has to tackle her fears in order to make her dreams come true.

This doesn't come easy, because, as I've come to learn myself, the really BIG dreams test you continually how much you want them. But through Jordi, I, myself, learned how to be a little more fierce.

This one is free on AMAZON, B&N and iTUNES. It's not an easy read... but I'd like to think it's an important one, particularly if you've never lived in the skin of a size-20+ woman in our culture.

Oh, and did I mention it was a spin-off from the GROUPIE series, with FIERCE and MOGUL overlapping between the two stories, so there are a LOT of familiar faces?

An excerpt:

*****


“I never knew I was incomplete until I looked into your eyes. I never knew what I was missing ‘till you made realize. Forever is possible with you by my side. I never believed in forever, till I fell in love with you. Now that we’re together, babe, only forever will do.”

Vanni and I smiled at each other as we finished the song. We had sung it quite a bit over the past week. It started as background vocals for his track, which he recorded for the single. Today we were working on the song as a duet so that I could learn the lead versions for my performance at his wedding, which was only eleven days away.

“I gotta tell you,” he said as he reached for a bottle of water, “you may convince me to release this as a duet. What you’re doing with this song is amazing.”

“Oh, please. I can’t do it better than you,” I said as I shrugged off his praise before I sipped from my bottle of green juice.

“What is that stuff, anyway?” he asked. “I’ve seen you drink nothing but juice all week.”

“Detox,” I offered.

“Sounds boring,” he grinned.

“Incredibly,” I grinned back.

“Get all that out of the way before the wedding,” he advised cheerfully. “Because in eleven days we are going to par-tay. Eating cake is mandatory, and I’m pretty sure it won’t fit into your little bottle there.”

I had to laugh. “You must be excited.”

He nodded happily. “Can’t happen soon enough, if you want the truth. I just want to get on with it, you know? Get out of the waiting part and get on to the doing. You know how it is. You must be psyched for the semifinals round.”

“To the point of puking actually,” I admitted.

“Got a song picked out?”

I shook my head. “Nothing feels right yet. And I’m afraid to bring another dud to Imogene.”

He was amused. “What do you mean?”

I explained how Imogene had nixed my first choice for the last round, and insisted I do the more upbeat number instead.

He considered that for a moment. “I think Imogene is right. You would kick ass with that song.”

I laughed. “I think the less I move the better. Better to stick to ballads.”

“Bor-ing,” he told me. “You can’t wedge yourself in some stupid little box, Jordi. You’ll lose your audience quick.”

“It’s not like I have a lot of options, Vanni.”

“Why not?” he asked.

“Look at me.”

He looked me over. “Yeah?”

Why was he being deliberately obtuse? “I’m not like everyone else,” I found myself saying, yet again, to one of the Fierce crew.

He rounded the piano where I stood, coming to stand right in front of me. “I know that. That’s why I chose you.” He sat on the piano bench. “Where’s this coming from?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, where is the Jordi who went onto that stage and acted like she owned the joint? You opened your mouth and let magic flow, like you were giving us a gift and you knew it.” I had to laugh. He took my hand and pulled me down onto the bench with him. “So where’s that girl?”

“I ate her,” I said softly.

“Hey,” he said as he squeezed my hand. “This business is full of people who will beat you up for not being this enough or that enough. The only way they succeed is if you agree.” He tipped my chin to look me in the eye. “Don’t agree.”

“You make it sound so easy.”

“Oh, it’s not easy,” he confirmed. “Nothing worthwhile ever is. But I’ll tell you this. The more you fight for something, the more you’ll appreciate it.” He picked up the sheet music for his new song. “That’s what this song is about. Before I met Andy, I could get almost every girl I wanted with the snap of a finger. I had to work for Andy. I had to fight my own demons to be worthy of her. She didn’t put up with my bullshit. The same old rules just didn’t apply.”

“So you had to change,” I pointed out.

“Certain things, yeah. And the reason I could? Because she loved me anyway.”

I didn’t know what to say. “I don’t have anyone like that,” I finally admitted.

“Yeah, you do,” he corrected as he pulled me close and planted a kiss on the top of my head. He kept me in that side hug, tucked safely in the crook of his arm. “Never be afraid to reach out of your comfort zone, Jordi. Even if you fail, people will love you for trying.” He bent forward until his forehead met mine. “Make it happen. You hear?”

I nodded. “Yes, sir.”

“Good,” he said as he reached for the sheet music. “Let’s sing.”



No comments:

Post a Comment