Thursday, March 8, 2012

American Idol Top 13 Perform Whitney and Stevie

You'll have to forgive me that I have an involuntary gag reflex whenever I face any Whitney or Stevie theme night because these two artists are so iconic Idol contestants have pretty much run through their discography ad nauseam. No disrespect to the most recently departed Whitney Houston by any stretch - in fact it is out of the knowledge she IS so iconic that trying to duplicate her enormous talent usually ends up poorly for the contestant who dares to take her on.

On this 400th episode of AI Ryan tells us that the girls will be performing in competition with the boys. At the end of the results show tomorrow both the guy with the lowest votes and the girl with the lowest votes will go before the judges, who will ultimately decide their fate.

The girls were up to the challenge, sort of. Two knocked it completely out of the park, whereas two fell completely out of place. For the boys they were mostly consistent but a little ho hum. I knew that this Whitney/Stevie mash-up would be a regularly snooze-fest for the Fast Forward King (my dear hubby) but when all was said and done he watched two performances straight through and was mad that one of the three up-tempo songs was mangled beyond all recognition.

Jimmy Iovine brought Mary J. Blige in to help coach the Idols this week and for the most part they were helpful. It hurt me to see Jimmy throw poor Elise under the bus but what can you do? The producers have their favorites too.

(As you could tell by the placement of all the singers tonight. There's a reason Phillip Phillips is the Vegas favorite to take home the title.)

One of my favorites kicked off the show with the fun Stevie tune, "I Wish." Joshua Ledet brought a little gospel into the peppy song and gave it his all as he performed, which made his unfortunate position as first a little less forgettable. His performance reminded me of some R&B greats who had come before him and I found his groove infectious. I truly couldn't find any real fault with it. I had a good time, and that's something I wasn't even sure was possible on this particular theme night.

Vocals: 5
Style: 5
Stage Presence: 5
Individuality: 5
Song Choice: 5
Total: 25
Probability of moving on: Good*
(His placement as first is the only thing that downgrades his chances from Strong.)

As I said before, I was not happy that Jimmy Iovine threw a different song choice at Elise Testone out of her comfort zone. I was, however, very glad he steered her away from that particular ballad for a peppy upbeat number, "I'm Your Baby Tonight." I love her voice but she really has to amp up the confidence to tackle these challenges. Her uncertainty caused her to lose her way in the song, which never fit her properly in the first place. I would have really loved to see her approach that song from another perspective, like jazz. The arrangement she ended up using either was out of whack or she has a misstep right out of the gate. I don't think she was able to recover after that. Couple this with her early placement in the lineup and this could spell trouble.

Vocals: 3
Style: 4
Stage Presence: 3
Individuality: 4
Song Choice: 3
Total: 17
Probability of moving on: Questionable

Jermaine Jones took on "Knock Me Off My Feet" with that big deep voice of his. While it was a sleepier number than the first too there was a swagger there I don't think had been there before. His voice however is pretty stylized so I'm not sure how polarizing he will ultimately be as a contestant. If you were already a fan of Jermaine this performance gave you another dynamic to enjoy. It depends now if voters will remember this performance by the end of the show. I found it nice but forgettable.

Vocals: 4
Style: 4
Stage Presence: 4
Individuality: 4
Song Choice: 4
Total: 20
Probability of moving on: Fair to Good

Erika Van Pelt (or EVP as she will now be called) apparently didn't learn her lesson last week. After nearly being sent home for singing a ballad (and saved by the skin of her teeth singing something with more of an edge,) she opted to take on Whitney's ballad "I Believe in You and Me."

:-|

This chick obviously has a sadistic streak. It's not enough she almost got booted on her fanny LAST week she wants to remind us all that she doesn't have the strongest ballad voice, she can just make it a little edgier when she does it. She could have chosen a song to stand out all on her own ("It's Not Right But It's Okay" for instance, which is Whitney's most badass recognizable tune.) (And she's a DJ... should should know it.) Instead she just decided to blend in with the pack. Yeah her voice was cool and all but this was yet another missed opportunity for her. I'm not sure how forgiving the voting public will be with her for doing the same unoriginal karaoke two weeks in a row.

I'm annoyed and I like her. EVP, darling, you're a rocker. Let everyone else bore my husband to tears with a ballad. STAND. OUT.

Vocals: 4
Style: 4
Stage Presence: 4
Individuality: 4
Song Choice: 2
Total: 18
Probability of moving on: Fair to Good*
(She earns the "good" because chances are higher she'll get a boomerang of votes to keep her out of jeopardy again this week, and honestly two other girls performed worse.)

Colton Dixon sang "Lately." This alt rocker also slowed things down, but I really couldn't presume to pick a song that would better suit him. Most of the songs he sings sound the same to me. When he performed I didn't hear shades of Stevie in the background. I suppose that's a good thing? I just haven't been wowed by Colton yet. I think this will appeal to his fan base. How substantial that is will determine his placement overall, but I can't see this particular performance sending him home.

Vocals: 4
Style: 5
Stage Presence: 4
Individuality: 5
Song Choice: 4
Total: 22
Probability of moving on: Good to Strong

Shannon Magrane is another contestant who hasn't yet learned that truly talented singers have more in their back pocket than just a pat ballad. Instead of keeping it young ("I Wanna Dance With Somebody" for instance,) she TOO opted for a ballad - one way older than her tender age of 16. She couldn't sell it emotionally nor vocally. "I Have Nothing" is a huge Whitney tune and unlike EVP before her, she doesn't necessarily have the chops to carry this kind of song. This was evident in the number of notes she missed. Her vocal was really the the weakest of the night.

If the nicest judges on TV are telling you it's bad, it's bad. That they actually identified her as bad is her only hope for votes to get into the next round.

Vocals: 2
Style: 4
Stage Presence: 4
Individuality: 3
Song Choice: 1
Total: 14
Probability of moving on: Questionable

My sweet little DeAndre Brackensick. What can I say? I find just about everything about him endearing, even the way he uttered, "Lawd have mercy" when he saw video playback of how emotional last week was for him. I wasn't crazy about the wild "up-do" he had going on but it spared him from the hair flip of doom. His performance of the Reggae flavored "Master Blaster" let him let his hair down a little (figuratively speaking) and he got to be what he is: a 17 year old kid. It was youthful and fun but still gave him an opportunity to show his range a little bit. I was able to watch it three times and enjoy it as much every single time. I can't always understand what he's singing, but I sure like the sound of his voice while he's doing what he does so effortlessly. I remain unabashed in my bias, but this week he earned it.

Vocals: 5
Style: 4
Stage Presence: 5
Individuality: 5
Song Choice: 5
Total: 24
Probability of moving on: Strong

Skylar Laine is so country it hurts. I've always found it interesting that British performers can sing a song and we'll never hear a hint of their accent but when it comes to southern performers it hits you in the face like a cold blast of water. So it really didn't matter what Whitney song she sang tonight, it was going to come across like be-dazzling rhinestones on haute couture. I did appreciate both Jimmy and Mary "reigning" her in to deliver her version of "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" with a softer touch. It really prevented her from taking it over the top, which could have sunk her.

As our only real country contestant this year, I think odds in her favor that she'll advance.

Vocals: 4
Style: 4
Stage Presence: 5
Individuality: 5
Song Choice: 4
Total: 22
Probability of moving on: Strong

I still don't know what to make of Heejun Han. He can sing but his personality is a bit... quirkier than we normally see on Idol. But I guess since Reed Grimm didn't make the cut, he does fill a comedy niche. My only problem is that he sings boring songs. He opted for "All is Fair in Love." He sings like a balladeer while maintaining the backstage presence of a class clown. I'd love to see him bring a little bit more of that personality to the stage.

(Which I believe was my complaint last week as well.)

Either way, boring, forgettable performance.

Vocals: 4
Style: 4
Stage Presence: 4
Individuality: 4
Song Choice: 4
Total: 20
Probability of moving on: Fair to Good

Hollie Cavanagh sang "All the Man That I Need" - which happens to be my favorite Whitney tune of all time. It's a HUGE song, but she has a HUGE voice - so it fit. Many times when we hear Whitney songs on Idol I miss actually hearing Whitney. Hollie, tonight, performed a miracle. Not only did she give me goosebumps hitting these big notes (especially that doozy at the end) but she made me want to hear HER version again rather than the original. It's a shame it was slow, my husband Speedy McSpeederson FF'd right on by.

I think she's definitely one to watch. I can see her going all the way to top 3 (at least) if she keeps this up.

Vocals: 5
Style: 5
Stage Presence: 5
Individuality: 5
Song Choice: 5
Total: 25
Probability of moving on: Strong

Jeremy Rosado won us over last week by being the kid who wears his heart on his sleeve. He brought J-Lo to tears and earned her Wild Card pick with a voice that she commented was straight from the heavens. Despite this ringing endorsement his performance of "Ribbon in the Sky" didn't do much for me. It was... pleasant. It was nice. But it didn't stand out the way I had hoped it would. I think odds are good that he'll experience that boomerang vote effect where his fans will vote this week where they didn't last week. (He may have even won a few more with his emotional journey thus far.) IF by any stretch he does wind up in the bottom two going against one of the girls I doubt he'll be sent home, especially if Jennifer has anything to say about it.

Vocals: 4
Style: 4
Stage Presence: 4
Individuality: 4
Song Choice: 4
Total: 20
Probability of moving on: Fair to Good

You knew when we heard it was Whitney week SOMEONE would sing "I Will Always Love You." This is risky because Whitney sang the hell out of this song to the point, especially now that she has passed, it's almost sacrilege to try and put a different, individual spin on it. This inevitably vaults it into karaoke territory for lesser singers. Fortunately Jessica Sanchez is not a lesser singer. She's got a big ol voice for such a little girl, and she really did deliver.

Having said that I think Hollie may have outsung her tonight, if only by a smidge. I think Jessica's rather cliche performance of this predictable song (under a spotlight much like J-Hud sang at the Grammys) did not do her any real favors to set her apart from Whitney or even J-Hud. Unless you can surpass them, not just draw neck and neck, it's best not to draw those comparisons.

I still think she's the girl to beat, although after tonight I think Hollie is right on her heels.

Vocals: 5
Style: 5
Stage Presence: 5
Individuality: 4
Song Choice: 5
Total: 24
Probability of moving on: Strong

Phillip Phillips closed the show and we all know what that means. It would seem he's a producer favorite as well as a Vegas favorite, though I swear I still don't see why. I get that he takes songs and puts an individual spin on the song - but it all sounds like the same thing to me and that's not really that original at all. Every time he performs I am reminded of the likes of David Cook - and then I want to hear David Cook.

"Superstition" is my favorite Stevie Wonder song hands down. I usually like it when most people do it, as long as they do it fairly close to the Stevie Wonder version. That's how much I love it. So I wasn't crazy about this gruff rock switcharoo much like I didn't care for what he did last week. I don't think he's going home anytime too soon but I have yet to see in him what everyone else does.

Maybe next week.

Vocals: 4
Style: 4
Stage Presence: 5
Individuality: 4
Song Choice: 4
Total: 21
Probability of moving on: Strongest

(Has anyone ever gone home who performed in the pimp spot? I can't recall.)

If voting follows performance then Elise and Shannon are in the most trouble. For the guys it will just depend on where the fan allegiances lie as no one really dropped the ball vocally. Some performances were more memorable than other, but never underestimate the power of the judges and the lineup in which they sang. According to my grades Jermaine, Jeremy and Heejun tied with the lowest boys scores at 20, but poor Joshua is fighting the dreaded curse of first.

(It didn't help the judges gave him props for standing out several times, which could lull his fanbase into a false sense of security. We have seen this happen many times before.)

That means it's anybody's game for the guys.

My pick to go home: Elise.

No comments:

Post a Comment