Tuesday, March 6, 2018

25 Songs, 25 Days, Day 5: A song that reminds you of a best friend.

Welcome to my Month of Music! We're going to talk about one of my biggest muses this month: music. I found this fun little challenge on Facebook, where I will be playing this little game all month on my official author page. Give it a look and play along, and who knows? Maybe you'll get some free books along the way!

I met my best friend in 1980, which means we are in our 38th year. When your friendship approaches its own mid-life, you have scads of songs that go with all kinds of memories, each as important as the last. In fact, when you're as close as my bestie and I have been, there are more things that remind you of your friend/friendship than not.

Jeff is so intrinsically a part of my life he lands in book after book. People told me going into it that having a gay BFF is cliche, but I've never ever let that stop me from planting these magical supporting characters in every. single. book. Having a gay BFF isn't a "cliche," it's simply a fact of life, and those of us lucky enough to have one to call our own believe that EVERYONE should have a gay bestie - because they make life better and fuller and more colorful in every single way.

To prove this, I wrote our story. Kinda. One book in particular where I honored my rich history with the bestie was THE LEFTOVER CLUB, where I lifted many experiences from my past to craft the ultimate story of unrequited love. We were teens in the 1980s, so anything cool I knew about anything was because of my bestie. I plug it all into THE LEFTOVER CLUB, from our favorite shows and movies to our favorite songs.

It is in honor of our 80s childhood, our shared love of all things GG, and the sheer meaning of the song that I present the anthem of all best friends:



Also to honor all BFFs everywhere, today you can download THE LEFTOVER CLUB for *free*. Maybe you could read it with your own best friend. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment