Thursday, September 4, 2014

A #TBT for all those who came of age in the 1980s. (This one is for you!)

During a blog-takeover not too long ago, I found out that many readers wanted to see romances geared for older women in different parts of their lives, rather than the college-aged ingenues that dominate romantic fiction. Unbeknownst to them, I was hard at work on a romance to fit that niche. I was inspired by a book called READY PLAYER ONE, that blended past, present and future so seamlessly it inspired me to do the same.

THE LEFTOVER CLUB is my newest novel, set to be released on September 12 (and available for pre-order now.) Through a series of flashbacks over several decades, I tell the love story of two soul mates who are meant to be ... provided of course they both get their heads out of their asses and realize this.

My goal was simple. I wanted to capture the awkwardness of being an outcast in the 1980s, the drive and ambition of being a 90s woman on the verge of "having it all" and then... most importantly... the fallout of being a divorcee and single mom in the new millennium. This standalone book is a saga spanning decades, with an unlikely and unexpected affair perfect for anyone who has lamented unrequited love.

I knew a lot about that in the 1980s. I lived my life to songs that spoke about wanting what one didn't have.







The 90s came with their own complications. I still wanted what I couldn't have, and it hurt every bit as much. But there were also moments of triumph preceding the losses, which both healed and tore new holes in a battered heart.







And then, of course, the new millennium. We weren't running out of steam, ready to sale off into a Floridian sunset as our children took the helm. We were finding that 40 was the new 20, and we still had a bottomless bag of possibilities. No matter where we had been, we were still going to someplace else... somewhere better.



Though Hollywood and popular mainstream fiction insists that our best years are behind us, I've found myself graduating into a class of women who simply do not give a fuck. We're done pleasing everyone and ready to go off the grid to grasp our own meaning of happiness.

That was the sentiment I wanted to capture in the book. It was even more than an insightful look at a Gen-Xer, THE LEFTOVER CLUB is my most personal book yet. There were several instances almost lifted word for word from my own eclectic history. Roni and I are a lot alike. We are both hopelessly romantic, who love fiercely and faithfully. There are no limits to the lengths we'll go to for the people we love. And we've screwed up plenty, often in the wake of our own passive aggressive stupidity.

We're both also in the process of growing up, one misstep at a time.

So if you've been waiting for a book where an older lady gets her chance at love, THE LEFTOVER CLUB is just one-click away. Pre-order now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment