Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Teaser Two for THE LEFTOVER CLUB - "Naughty Naughty"



This time when Dylan asked to head down to the river, I didn’t hesitate. We headed down the hill together. The terrain was flat but rocky, with tall trees surrounding the area like sentries on guard. He lit up a joint, which I shared. I inhaled deep the smell of the trees and the dirt, feeling like we were at one with the universe.

“We should go rafting,” he suggested.

I shook my head. “This is perfect,” I said as I sat on one of the rocks near the foamy river. It was large and flat enough for me to lie on my back and stare through the tiny opening in the trees toward the blue, cloudless sky above. I took another hit and just allowed myself to be a part of it.

He joined me on the next rock over. “Where’s your spirit of adventure?”

“On dry land,” I clarified with a pointed glare. “This is perfect.” I kicked off my shoes and stuck my feet in the water. It felt like cool heaven against my skin, which had been warmed all day by the relentless summer sun. Dylan had an impish smile on his face as he studied me thoughtfully for a moment. Before I knew it, he was tugging off his shoes and tossing them on dry land.

I watched him shrug out of his shirt, baring that sculpted torso once more. “What are you doing?” I asked, much sharper than I intended.

“Going for a swim,” he said before he started to release the fastener on his jeans.

“It’s dangerous,” I said as he stripped to his briefs.

He shook his head. “You heard what the caretaker said. Guests love swimming in this area because it’s safe and it’s private. So no one,” he said dramatically before he pulled down his briefs, “is going to look.”

As God as my witness, I couldn’t tear my eyes away from his naked form. I had dreamed about him in some form or fashion since I hit puberty, but there was nothing like seeing him stand before me, naked as a jaybird, offering his hand to me so that I can join in his spontaneous debauchery.

I shook my head. “No way.”

“Chicken,” he teased with a smirk I swore was going to be the death of me.

“Dylan, be serious.” There was absolutely no way I would get naked in front of him. Hadn’t he figured that out by now? Sometimes I swore that he did these things just to get a rise out of me.

“I’m serious as a heart attack,” he promised as he crossed his heart with his finger. “We’re adults now, Roni. Let’s live life on the edge.”

If he was near an edge, I would have pushed him off of it. The longer he stood there, the madder I got. “Don’t be stupid. This is not something that you and I should ever be doing.”

“Why not? Because we’re friends?”

“Yes,” I sputtered, as if the answer should have been obvious.

“I would think our being friends would make this a perfectly safe and innocent thing to do. I mean, what do we have to hide from each other, really?” He waded out into the water until he stood waist deep. “Truth or dare,” he called out.

“I’m not playing this stupid game with you,” I announced. “In fact, I’m sorely tempted to go back to the cabin until you stop acting like an idiot.”

He laughed. “You won’t,” he predicted easily before he dunked himself. “You want to stay right here.”

I crossed my arms over my chest. “You certainly sound sure of yourself.”

He shrugged. “If you were going to leave, you would have left already.”

I sputtered more as I stared at him. He had my number and I knew it. I grew hotter by the second. “Fine,” I said as I unbuttoned my shirt. Maybe it was the pot. Maybe it was the fact I was tired of him toying with me like a stupid cat with a timid mouse. He wanted to see me naked? Fine. Then maybe he’d stop teasing me at last and spend his time chasing after one of his endless size-2 cheerleaders.

I could feel my face burn as I unhooked my bra and tossed it aside before I lost my nerve. I couldn’t even meet his eyes as I squirmed quickly out of my shorts. I was in the water, quick as a shot. I heard him chuckle the closer I got to him.

“There,” I announced with a tilted chin. “Are you happy now?”

“Not yet,” he mused before he dunked me under water.

I came up gasping for air. He swam easily away from me so I chased after him until I dunked him in the water. The more we frolicked, the easier it was to forget we were both completely naked.

He gave me another heart-stopping smile. “Isn’t this better than sitting on the sidelines?”

I glared at him. “Yes,” I admitted at last.

He swam a little closer. “You know what your problem is, Miss Lawless?”

“I can’t wait to hear it, Mr. Fenn.”

“You make everything so much harder than it has to be. Why do you do that?”

“Because things do come harder for me,” I said softly, knowing he’d never understand. He was one of the blessed ones, one of the beautiful ones.

“It doesn’t have to,” he replied just as soft. “You can have anything you want. It’s all there for the asking.”

I shook my head. He had no idea.

“What’s standing in your way?” he wanted to know.

“Me,” I finally said.

His eyes glittered as he stared at me. “That’s the first honest thing you’ve said.”

I started to turn away but he pulled me back. “Truth or dare?”

I shook my head. “I’m not playing.”

He arched an eyebrow. “Neither am I. Truth or dare?”

If he asked me what it was that I wanted most, I would have been mortified to answer. I don’t think I would have even had the presence of mind to lie. Finally, with a hopeless shrug of my shoulder, I said, “Dare.”

Those dark eyes consumed me. “Come here,” he said softly.



THE LEFTOVER CLUB releases this Friday!! Pre-order NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment