Saturday, April 30, 2016

I have one word for your Sneak Peek Saturday: Caz Bixby. (Wait, what?)

If you've been around a while, you already know that I love, love, love to include little Easter Eggs in my book, bringing back characters from other stories for unexpected cameos. I got the idea from Stephen King, the Master, whose little asides for his diehard fans (and by diehard, I mean those who read more than one of his books,) made me feel special, like we were connecting on a delicious little secret casual fans might miss. You just get more out of it that way, and I love doing that in my books, building my universe a little bit at a time.

Mostly, I can't let some of these characters go. Vanni, Graham, Jorge... these are characters I bring back again and again because they just make life so much fun. Well, no one, and I do mean no one, made my life more exciting than Caz Bixby, one of the stars of my MASTERS saga. This guy was shameless and naughty, and I like that. I knew when I ended the Masters series that he would be back - as many times as I could make it happen - before one day starring in a book of his own.

He doesn't get his own book/HEA yet, simply because that's not what Caz Bixby is about. He's a catalyst, not a romantic hero. Like he says, "I don't do love, sweets. I do sex and lots of it."

So needless to say, when Eli Blake, Douche Extraordinaire, thinks that Carly is too much woman to fit his narrow standard - I introduced a naughty, shameless little catalyst to prove to him that some guys found her "just enough." He gets to see her through the eyes of a man who knows exactly what to do with her.

It doesn't go well...

Here's another snippet from GLITTER ON THE WEB...

****


“Carly, I have someone I want you to meet.”

The man in question stood to his full height and turned to me with a familiar smirk. I had seen him somewhere before, though I wrestled with my memory to place him. Finally it clicked a half a second before she said, “This is Caz Bixby, my new boss.”

Caz Bixby—notorious playboy and known gigolo, one who had taken pop culture by storm when he outed one of his more notable clients and dismantled an entire election campaign airing her dirty laundry. He was rewarded with a TV show of his own, and my guess was that was where Clem had been keeping herself lately.

OGWO was once again as right as rain.

“Carly,” he crooned as he took my hand in his and brought it to his lips for a kiss. “I’ve heard so much about you. And not just from Clementine. You get any more press and they’ll have to give you a show.”

I laughed. “God forbid.”

He grinned. “Is that an accent I detect?”

“Maybe a little,” I replied in good humor. He was fun, and he was almost painfully good looking. It wasn’t a bad combo. “Guess where and I’ll buy you a shot.”

“Ooo, a challenge,” he said as he leaned back to inspect me. “Talk dirty to me.”

I leaned forward. “Mud. Soot. Manure. Oil.”

He clapped one hand on the bar. “Say no more. You are from the great state of Tejas, am I right?”

“Give that man a silver dollar,” I nodded as I held up my finger to order a shot from Clem.

“Make it two,” he added before turning back to me. “You’ve got to join me in a Valentine’s Day toast.”

I shook my head. “Can’t. Pain meds,” I said with a pout.

“Oh, yeah.” He glanced at my foot. “How’s the bum foot?”

“Healing,” I said. “I’m starting physical therapy next week.”

He smiled wide. “If you ever need a trainer…,” he said, letting his offer trail off.

“And here I thought you were way too busy for something like that.”

He laughed. “For one of Clem’s friends, I could make an exception.” His eyes glittered as they ran over me. “Especially for a pretty one.”

“Actually,” Clem said as she leaned across the bar, delivering the shots, “Carly is taken.”

He glanced out onto the dance floor, where Eli now danced with Lisa and Daisy. “Yeah. I heard.” His eyes met mine. In an instant, I feared he could easily read all those things I would never say. I could say nothing as he reached into his pocket and withdrew a black card with a gold lettering embossed on it. He handed it to me. “Offer still stands, though. Even if you need to talk. I know instant fame can be tough.”

I nodded and took the card, placing it in my clutch.

He continued to study me with that thoughtful stare. “Care to dance?” he offered and I shook my head.

“I probably shouldn’t.”

“Why not? He’s having a good time,” he added, nodding once again to the dance floor. There Eli was sandwiched in between my two friends, who were having a sexy good time grinding against a famous, sexy crooner. “Come on,” Caz urged. “I really want to dance and my favorite girl is behind the bar.” I still hemmed and hawed, so he added, “Don’t you want to show a poor, lonely guy some of that southern hospitality?”

I looked up into those playful hazel eyes. I couldn’t help but smile. “Okay.”

He pulled me towards the dance floor, where Lola had just started playing “More Than a Mouthful.” Caz plastered me against his hard body. “I love this song,” he grinned, and I knew in an instant he was completely incorrigible. “So tell me what it’s like to fall in love under a microscope,” he said.

“You should know,” I countered. “You’re more famous than I am.”

He laughed. “I don’t do love, sweets. I do sex and lots of it.”

The way his body moved against me left no room for argument about that.

“Then you and Clem are perfect for each other,” I teased.

He laughed again. “Clem is a hoot. And a riot in the sack.”

My eyes widened. “You slept with her?” That didn’t sound like Clem at all. Normally she never mixed business with pleasure.

“I sleep with everyone,” he grinned, unabashed. “Haven’t you heard?”

My eyes narrowed. “Oh. So you’re a liar.”

He leaned forward with that cheeky grin. “Takes one to know one.” I gasped as I realized what was happening. “Don’t worry. I’m not here to bust you. But if you want to sell this relationship, you’re going to have to go for broke, baby doll. I can smell the neglect all over you. You haven’t been properly fucked in,” he paused to lean closer still and peer into my face, “four months at least.”

I gasped at how on the nose he was. Who the fuck was this guy?

“If you ever need help in that department, I’m available for that too. No one sells a lie better than Caz Bixby. Ask anyone.”

“Thanks,” I muttered as I tried to turn away, but he pulled me back.

“Don’t get all sore. Come on. Let’s dance,” he added softly as he pulled me closer.

Just then another man’s hand landed on my arm. It was Eli, and he wasn’t happy. “Is this jerk giving you a hard time, babe?”

Always in character, I thought. Caz, unfortunately, ran with it.

“Not yet, but I’m trying,” he added with that self-satisfied smirk that rivaled Eli’s.

“She’s with me,” Eli practically growled at him.

Undaunted, Caz shot back, “Sorry, man, it was hard to tell, considering you were dancing with other girls and all.”

Eli’s glare narrowed to pinpoints. “Who are you?”

Caz reached out his hand. “Caz Bixby. Clem works for my show.”

I could see Eli quickly process the data. “I see.”

“Clem was working the bar so I asked Carly here for a dance. Figured no harm, no foul, right? I mean it’s Valentine’s Day. All the pretty girls deserve a dance on Valentine’s Day.”

“You’re so right,” Eli said as he pulled me to his side. “Carly’s dance card is full. But I’m sure you’ll find another.”

“I always do,” Caz said. His eyes returned to me. “They all come to Caz eventually,” he grinned as he bowed, then disappeared into the crowd.

“What a prick,” Eli muttered, which made me laugh. “What’s so funny?”

“I would think you guys have a lot in common,” I shrugged.

His gaze fell over me. “We have one thing in common, it would seem.”

“Please,” I dismissed. “It was just a dance.”

“Tell that to the flush in your cheek,” he hissed before he dragged me back to the dance floor.


****


If you didn't get enough Caz in the MASTERS saga, pre-order GLITTER ON THE WEB right now at the discounted cost of $2.99! Price goes up after the May 10 release!

No comments:

Post a Comment