Saturday, April 9, 2016

Last weekend to pre-order Glitter on the Web for only $1.99!

The year is just speeding along, isn't it? The good news is that means it'll be May 10th before you know it. What's so special about May 10th? It's Eli Day.

Eli Blake is one of the more interesting heroes I've written in one of my novels. He's as arrogant as he is talented, as tempting as he is frustrating. I had a lot of fun getting to know him in Glitter on the Web. And, just between you and me, he's kinda sorta loosely even figuratively based on someone I used to know. In a way. Just kinda. Maybe a little.

Here's another lil' taste...

***
“Hey, Charlie.”

And just like that, my hatred restored. My brow furrowed as I turned around to face him. He was soaking wet with only a towel around his hips. “It’s Carly,” I corrected tightly, figuring he should at least know my friggin’ name after seven months, especially since I was helping make him a star and all.

“Sorry,” he dismissed easily. His gaze swept over me, likely looking for some indication that I would be verklempt in his near-naked presence. Instead, I crossed my arms and glared at him. I could practically hear his brain click and whir from where I stood. “I was wondering if you could help me pick out something to wear.”

My eyebrow practically arched right off my head. “You’re a big boy. You can dress yourself.”

He chuckled. “You have a point.”

Just like that, he dropped the towel. My breath caught, much to my regret. Those needle dick rumors were off the mark. Way off. A smirk tugged at the corner of his mouth.

“I just thought I could use a woman’s perspective. You know, since you’re my marketing demographic.”

Again, the hatred flared. “Is that a nice way of calling me fat?” I shot back. Unlike my comment to Frank, which had been a joke, Eli’s taunt got squarely under my skin.

He walked towards me. “Voluptuous. Zaftig. Rubenesque. You can pick the title, doesn’t matter to me.”

My fists curled into balls as he approached. Why was he trying to get a rise out of me? I gave him a wide berth as I stomped towards his bedroom, yanking open one of the doors. The steam from his hot shower rushed over me in a fog.

“That’s the bathroom,” he grinned.

“I can see that,” I snapped back, before I slammed that door and went to the next one. It opened to a massive walk-in closet, filled with all kinds of clothes. God, he really was a vain, superficial jerk…

He was still completely naked as he leaned against the door frame. “You don’t like me, do you, Carla?”

My teeth gritted together. “What gave it away?” I sneered.

“Why not?” he asked, as if such a thing were unthinkable to him. A girl didn’t like him? Stop the presses!

I spun around to face him. “My name is Carly, for one,” I started. “But you wouldn’t know that, even though I’ve worked with you for seven long months, trying to make you a megastar. And succeeding, by the way,” I added with emphasis. “I don’t matter to you the same way your fans don’t matter to you. I don’t fit into a certain size, so I don’t count.”

He conceded the point with a slight nod of his head. “If it’s attention you want…,” he started, but I cut him off.

“I don’t want your attention, Big Shot. If my being fat means I keep assholes like you disinterested, then that definitely counts as a pro in my book, not a con. There are plenty of men out there who see me for me. They count. You don’t.”

He was amused by my impassioned speech. “So what’s the problem?”

I practically growled in frustration. “The problem is you’re a liar and a fraud! You don’t mean the stuff you sing. You’re doing it to get famous. That’s it.”

“So?” he countered again.

“So?” I repeated, incredulous. “People believe you, Eli. They think you’re this romantic hero when you’re nothing but an egomaniac!”

He laughed as he sauntered into the closet, standing so close to me I could smell the scent of the body wash he had used to scrub himself squeaky clean. He still hadn’t put on any clothes.

“I’m not any different from any other guy, Cathy,” he said. By now I knew he was getting my name wrong on purpose, just to piss me off.

It was totally working.

“Carly,” I grated.

“Whatever,” he shrugged, which only made me madder. “This is the way the world works. I didn’t make the rules.”

“You’re so full of shit. Every guy is not like you. What about Jace Riga? Isn’t that why you got this brilliant idea to dupe all the fat chicks? Because you saw how famous he got actually falling in love with one?”

Again he chuckled. “Jace Riga is not a regular guy. Believe me. If he hadn’t lost his leg in the war, he would have ended up with that Shelby chick.” He brushed a finger along my nose, booping the end of it, and pulling away just in time for me to swipe the air as I tried to knock him away.

“You’re an asshole,” I spat.

“But I’m right. That’s the real reason why you hate me. And you know it.” He patted me on the butt before turning me towards his clothes. “Now dress me like you would dress your dream guy. That’s your job,” he added, before he leaned forward to whisper, “Carly,” near my ear.

***


If you loved my brash bad boy Vanni, you're about to get blown away by Eli. Pre-order your copy of GLITTER ON THE WEB now for only $1.99. After this weekend it goes up to $2.99, where it will stay until it releases at its regular price of $3.99.

Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter, where you can get exclusive little tidbits and be "in the know" about specials as they come along! I'm going to send the newest one out tonight, with an exclusive excerpt. You don't wanna miss it!



Enjoy. ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment